March 19, 2012

Potato Bacon Casserole au Gratin

Bacon and Cheese cooked together in a dish. What more can you ask for? These two food items should have their own food group. I'm absolutely serious.

This casserole is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or supper. Easy to make, it reheats well (if you have any leftovers) and can be served alone or with another dish (fried ham, anyone?)

Ingredients

4 - 4 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1/2 cup minced onion
8-10 ounces bacon or turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 - 11/2 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (12 fl. oz.) of evaporated milk
1  or 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt

Preheat oven to 350° F.
Grease an 8-inch-square baking dish.

Spread half the shredded hash browns in the bottom of the dish.
Top with 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the bacon and about 1/2 the cheese.
Repeat the layer of hash browns, then onion and bacon on top.

Combine evaporated milk, egg and seasoned salt in small bowl.
Pour evenly over potato mixture and top with remaining cheese.

Cover  -not like mine is showing here; there was tin foil over it before the picture but that wouldn't have made a very good picture of the casserole.

Bake covered at  350° F for 55 to 60 minutes. 
Uncover; bake for an additional 5 minutes. 
Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Makes about 6 servings (or nine smaller ones if you are serving it alongside pancakes, ham, sausage, etc).


I had full intentions of taking a picture of this dish before I cut into it but the smell.... oh my gosh. I completely forgot until after everyone was half done eating. I admit I don't feel that bad. Just look at that cheesy, bacon goodness and tell me you can blame me for wanting to dig right in. This is one of those recipes that could be changed up with a few ingredients so have fun with it. 
Try it out and let me know what you think.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks yummy! I'll have to go dig and see if we have any potatoes left (it gets a little skimpy near spring around here! Every year I try to remind myself to plant more...but the garden already looks too big! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed it but I have a thing for bacon and cheese together. hehe

      I can't wait for it to be warm enough for gardening. Spring is such a great season. Stop by my sister's facebook page and join in, if it appeals to you (she's the gardener in the family.)
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/112993055388802/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...