January 24, 2012

Crack Bread

I know.... what a title...

A while back I was enjoying a night of pinning on Pinterest (the most amazing time wasting, dream instigating site ever to grace our etherweb), when I came across a pin for Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pulls. The picture with it looked delicious and so I had to take a look and see what it was all about.

This led me to more great pictures and a recipe on the Plain Chicken blog. It seemed simple enough, and the comments following the post raved about how good it is. Not one bad comment that I could see at all. The blogger even referred to it as 'Crack Bread'.

Oh, c'mon now.  Crack Bread? Really?

Yes, it sounded tasty.
And it looked great.
And I know the flavors would work well together.

But Crack Bread?

So last night I decided to give it a whirl and include it with supper.
It was fantastic!

Wish I had thought to take pictures before we devoured it...

I definitely did not use enough cheese for the loaf I picked up, but it was still so good.
My children both ate it and agreed it was good (this is incredible - they like nothing new).
My husband loved it enough to tell a friend about it later in the night on the phone.

Next time I will use more cheese (we love it in our house) and more drizzle. And by next time I mean in a few days. It was that good.
Crack Bread indeed.

I can see adding chives to this as well. I'm going to add them on the side for next time.
It would be great for party food.

I'd like to try this with seasoned taco meat instead of bacon sometime as well. Have sour cream and salsa on the side for dipping. mmmmm

This is the recipe for Crack Bread.
Don't be afraid to adjust it according to the size of the loaf.


1 unsliced loaf of sourdough bread (round is preferred)
8-12 oz cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
3 oz bag Oscar Mayer Real Bacon bits (or more)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 Tbsp Ranch dressing mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a sharp bread knife cut the bread going both directions. Do not cut through the bottom crust.
Place slices of cheese in between cuts. Sprinkle bacon bits on bread, making sure to get in between cuts.
Mix together butter and Ranch dressing mix. Pour over bread.
Wrap the entire loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Unwrap. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

A great big thank you to the Plain Chicken blog! I'll try to get some pictures up next time I make this loaf, but in the meantime, pop over to Plain Chicken and take a look at the pure yumminess there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...